[Standards] Question about error stanzas in server-to-server

Sanjay Pujare spujare at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 16 19:20:41 CDT 2009

I didn't see this addressed in the XMPP standard, hence this question:

If server A sends an XMPP packet to server B over an authenticated stream and server B needs to send an error packet (error stanza) in response, can it send this error packet over the same stream or does it need to create/use another authenticated stream from server B to server A?

The reason I am asking is because I have seen some product (Jabber?) sending error packets over the same stream whereas some other product actually creates a "response stream" even for sending error stanzas.

I think the standard should have been clear on this.

San