[Standards] reliable messaging

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Jun 17 08:50:05 CDT 2009

On Wed Jun 17 14:34:50 2009, Kevin Smith wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 2:29 PM, Evgeniy
> Khramtsov<xramtsov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Dave Cridland wrote:
> >> Well, a broken client is by its nature unreliable
> >> I don't think you can do anything to prevent that.
> > We can show to the sender that the recipient didn't receive the
> message.
>
> How? If the client is broken, you have no way of knowing that it's
> not
> sending message receipts in error.

Or that your client isn't dropping the receipts when it gets them
back, of course.

Basically, while we can posit unreliable connections, and - in the
specific case of end-to-end reliability - unreliable servers, the
notion of end-to-end reliability in the face of unreliable endpoints
is well beyond our abilities to deal with.

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/