[Standards] reliable messaging

Jonathan Schleifer js-xmpp-standards at webkeks.org
Wed Jun 17 10:34:38 CDT 2009

Am 17.06.2009 um 11:20 schrieb Dave Cridland:

> Actually, I think there's another, easy, way of doing this if you
> know the full jid of the recipient - XEP-0199 ping them after the
> message is sent.
>
> If you get a ping response, then - due to the ordering of all
> stanzas between two endpoints - the message must have been delivered.

Actually, in a perfect world, this would work. But then again, we have
S2S where this can happen (and already happened to me):

The message is delivered through s2s. The server notices that the s2s
is down by sending the message. The server does not know which message
failed, it only knows which TCP/IP packet did. Now the S2S link is
reestablished and thus, the ping works. But still, the message has
been lost.

--
Jonathan