[Standards] Wording JID, FullJid, baseJID,...

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Mon Jun 22 07:30:13 CDT 2009

Hi,

On Jun 22, 2009, at 12:28 PM, Bernhard zwischenbrugger wrote:

> I'm looking for correct wording:
>
> romeo
> @example
> .com                                                       // JID or
> BaseJID or?

Bare JID

> romeo at example.com/
> home                                             // FullJID or JID?

FullJID. JID might be acceptable but I would recommend that you use
either full or bare.

> romeo
>                                                                                // username

Node identifier.

In some contexts username might be appropriate.

> home
>                                                                                 // resource

yes. More specifically, resource identifier.

> example
> .com
>                                                                     // host
>  name?

domain identifier or just domain.

> conference
> .example.com                                                  //
> host name?

domain identifier or just domain.

> <iq from="pubsub.example.com" node="something">   // jid+node

Not sure what you mean here. This is not even a valid stanza. There is
no "node" in the top level <iq />

> room at conference.example.com                                      //
> room jid?

In the context of a MUC service, yes.

> room at conference.example.com/niki                               //
> room jid?

No, in the context of the MUC spec, this is a participant JID.

Yes, start here: http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3920.html#addressing

> -----
> What means "IQ"?

Maybe peter can answer that, I don't remember anymore...

> What's the big difference between IQ and MESSAGE?

IQ is a request-response mechanism, message is fire-and-forget. Thats
the most basic difference. As you walk up the protocol stack there
will be others (routing is handled differently, etc).

> PS: I'm teaching that things and must be very correct.

May I suggest that you purchase a copy of the XMPP book? Not
affiliated, just a happy customer:

http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596521264/

Best regards,
--