Kevin Smith kevin at kismith.co.uk
Wed Jun 16 14:22:06 CDT 2010

On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 8:10 PM, Konstantin Kozlov <yagiza at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Kevin Smith wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2010 at 7:43 PM, Kozlov Konstantin <yagiza at yandex.ru>
>> wrote:
>>> On 06/16/2010 08:27 PM, Kevin Smith wrote:
>>>    The log, attached to the first message clearly says that even author
>>> of XEP-0184 do not agree with you, Kevin. So, why do you argue?
>> Well, because the way that the XEP is written reads quite clearly (to
>> me) that the message has to have been presented to the user, and given
>> that presented means displayed.
>   Yes, but "displayed" doesn't mean that user "read" the message.

That's right - there's no way of knowing for sure that it's been read
(you could ask the user, but even then they can lie - how many users
read message boxes that popup, before they hit 'ok'? :) ).

>> This suggests we need to sort out the wording to be unambiguous one
>> way or the other, and hopefully in such a way that Council agree with
>> the author on what it means the next time they vote :)
>   Yes. Let's sort out what means "received", "displayed" and "read" to
> decide which of them are needed and which are not.

Yes.

So:
What's the use case for needing to know when the user's client has
received the message?
What's the use case for needing to know when the user has been shown
the message?
What's the use case for when the user must have read the message?
(and noting as above that the last two are probably as close to
synonymous as you'll get in a reasonable UI).

Then we can start to work out what needs to be included.

/K