[Standards] presence muc element

Curtis King cking at mumbo.ca
Fri Jun 25 05:08:32 UTC 2010

On 2010-06-24, at 1:52 PM, Matthew Wild wrote:

>> Kev additionally informs me that M-Link's muc service may be the only one that
>> performs rejoins properly when receiving the muc element.
> It wasn't the first, but it likely is the only one at the moment. I
> didn't consider it acceptable to release logic that is broken with one
> of the largest XMPP deployments on the internet, so as I said, we
> removed it from Prosody with a view to re-adding it if/when Google
> finally cleaned up their act.

Why would Google clean up their act when everyone works around their broken implementation just because they are big?

Such work arounds are a slippery slope. A spec losses value when you have to know all the "secret" work arounds to interop with some large company's broken implementation. Been down that road with SMTP, IMAP, and POP3 where work arounds are still needed to interop with latest version of their products 10 years after the first version of the product shipped with the broken protocol.