[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Justin Karneges justin-keyword-jabber.093179 at affinix.com
Sat Mar 6 12:12:48 CST 2010

On Saturday 06 March 2010 01:33:25 Pedro Melo wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 5:01 AM, Evgeniy Khramtsov <xramtsov at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > There is already STUN support in ejabberd :P
> > For me it is unclear why we need another way to discover client's public
> > ip, that's why I'm asking
>
> Because I already have a XMPP stack, and if I can get away without
> having to include a [STUN] stack, thats a win on my book.

I don't think obtaining your external IP address alone is all that useful
anymore.  Years ago, I could have seen it being an aid to those who were port
forwarding (e.g. with XEP-65), and back then even I was strongly desiring
such an extension.  That's how the earlier protocols like ICQ and AIM worked,
too, so it made sense to want to mirror the state of the art.

However, these days I'm starting to think that all of our p2p activity should
be UDP-based and/or configurationless, and that port-forwarding is a concept
from the stone age.  Google has it right.

-Justin