[Standards] A "broadcast" attribute to <messages/> ?

Laurent Eschenauer laurent at eschenauer.be
Fri Mar 12 11:32:21 UTC 2010

Thanks Dave, Nicolas, for the feedback.

>>> Am I missing a point ? Any other work or proposal already tackling this ?
>> http://xmpp.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-xmpp-3921bis-05.html#message-syntax-type
>> * headline -- [...] The receiving server SHOULD deliver the message to all
>> of the recipient's available resources.HTH,

I had completely skipped that one. I've just looked into the code and
openfire does not implement it this way at all. I'll submit a bug
report and a patch.

> It will not be an offline message though, right?

It is indeed strange to have a type value impacting both the routing
and the storage. In fact you could imagine use cases where you need
the three attributes to be decoupled: type describing the nature of
the message, another one for expected routing behavior, and a third
for expected storage behavior.