[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Nicolas Vérité nicolas.verite at process-one.net
Fri Mar 12 04:37:42 CST 2010

On Fri, Mar 5, 2010 at 19:53, XMPP Extensions Editor <editor at xmpp.org> wrote:
> Version 0.1 of XEP-0279 (Server IP Check) has been released.
>
> Abstract: This specification defines a simple XMPP extension that enables a client to discover its external IP address.
>
> Changelog: Initial published version. (psa)
>
> Diff: N/A

I am really confused here: Are we reinventing the wheel? Why add this
entropy? STUN is there, well thought out, coded and strongly tested,
though maybe a bit complex. If we (improve and) accept this XEP, then
what CAN/SHOULD/MUST clients and/or servers implement then? STUN
and/or SIC?
--
Nicolas Vérité - ProcessOne
http://process-one.net