[Standards] NEW: XEP-0279 (Server IP Check)

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Fri Mar 12 15:17:13 UTC 2010

On Fri Mar 12 13:05:56 2010, Matthew Wild wrote:
> On 12 March 2010 11:57, Dave Cridland <dave at cridland.net> wrote:
> > In the majority of our deployments, M-Link sits in a DMZ, with
> routable
> > access to client IP addresses, such that it sees internal
> addresses rather
> > than external. I have no reason to think that in this respect,
> our customers
> > are different from anyone else's. Since the majority of the
> clients connect
> > from internal addresses, it follows that this protocol will
> return the wrong
> > address in the majority of cases for the majority of deployments.
> >
> I'm not sure I'll agree that it'll affect the majority of users
> without seeing figures (that I know full well can't be produced) :)
Only, I stress, for logistic reasons. Our secret squirrel customers
don't run servers on networks that have any "public" addresses at
all, and don't really want any peer-to-peer stuff happening. :-)

All our current enterprise clients, however, run servers in the DMZ,
and "see" the clients' internal addresses - this includes Isode's own
deployment, actually.

It won't affect public server deployments, which are likely to only
"see" clients' mapped global addresses.

Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net
  - http://dave.cridland.net/