[Standards] A "broadcast" attribute to <messages/> ?

Pedro Melo melo at simplicidade.org
Fri Mar 12 18:47:03 UTC 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 10:52 AM, Laurent Eschenauer
<laurent at eschenauer.be> wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any possibility for the sender (client or
> server) to specify that the message being sent should ideally be
> broadcasted to all resources (having positive priority to complain
> with the rest of the spec).
> http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#rules
> So, what about an additional "broadcast" message attribute for this ?
> I think there are more uses cases where you may want to use XMPP as a
> "messaging bus" between the connected resources of a user.
> Am I missing a point ? Any other work or proposal already tackling this ?

If the current solutions don't work for you (<presence> or <message
type="headline">) then, instead of a <broadcast> attribute, I would
rather have a sort of "inverse-PEP" node. A well-known pubsub node
(probably the urn of the XEP) that people on your roster can publish
to and all resources would get.

Pedro Melo
xmpp:melo at simplicidade.org
mailto:melo at simplicidade.org