[Standards] XEP-0184 1.1rc7

Ralph Meijer jabber.org at ralphm.ik.nu
Tue Mar 30 06:54:30 CDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-03-30 at 13:45 +0200, Remko Tronçon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Something still feels weird about the latest version of XEP 184. When
> sending back a receipt, the id of the message must mirror the id of
> the incoming message. So far, I always thought that id's were unique
> to the sender domain, except when the stanza is of type 'error' (or
> type 'result' for iq). Aren't there risks when normal messages
> suddenly get ids from another domain (potentially causing conflicts?)

As each message is in a stream with a particular direction, the unicity
still holds in the case you describe. A potential issue could occur when
the receipt yields an error stanza, as the error stanza would then have
the same id as the original message.

I general I don't think this is really an issue. If there is any
tracking of ids at all, they are likely one-offs.

> I was expecting the id to be a part of the received, as in
>
>    <received xmlns='urn:xmpp:receipts' id='blabla'/>
>
> This could potentially also allow sending a batch of receipts in one
> message (if we would want that)

There has been a trend to remove batch features from specifications
lately, like in XEP-0060 (Publish-Subscribe). I don't think we should
introduce new ones.

--
ralphm