[Standards] XEP-0184 1.1rc7

Remko Tronçon remko at el-tramo.be
Tue Mar 30 08:40:13 CDT 2010

> As each message is in a stream with a particular direction

Well, not really. Clients usually generate IDs based on some simple
algorithm, and don't take into account IDs from incoming messages. For
example, 2 clients with a simple incrementing counter would give this:

C1->C2: (id=1) <body>hi there</body>
C2->C1: (id=1) <body>hello</body><request-receipt/>
C1->C2: (id=1) <request-received/>

C1 sent two normal messages with id=1: the first one generated from
the auto-incrementing number algorithm, the second one mirroring the
message from the incoming message.

> There has been a trend to remove batch features from specifications
> lately, like in XEP-0060 (Publish-Subscribe). I don't think we should
> introduce new ones.

I agree.

cheers,
Remko