[Standards] Shared rosters

Theo Cushion theo at jivatechnology.com
Wed Sep 22 14:21:26 UTC 2010

Hi

Can anyone clarify how shared rosters are supposed to work. I've been
looking at http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#roster and http://xmpp.org/rfcs/rfc3921.html#rfc.section.5.1.2
  but still have some questions.

Section 7.1 states that if a roster is received with the subscription
attributes for a contact set to both then "both the user and the
contact have subscriptions to each other's presence information".

However, looking at 5.1.2 about presence broadcast it states:

If the presence stanza lacks a 'type' attribute (i.e., expresses
availability), the user's server MUST broadcast the full XML of that
presence stanza to all contacts (1) that are in the user's roster with
a subscription type of "from" or "both", (2) to whom the user has not
blocked outbound presence notifications, and (3) from whom the server
has not received a presence error during the user's session (as well
as to any of the user's other available resources).

The scenario I am unsure about is as follows:

- User A is part of roster group "Admin"
- User B is part of roster group "Admin"
- User C is not part of any roster group, but gets sent the roster
group "Admin" - with all contacts subscription attribute set to both

So I understand that A can see B and B can see A due to - '(1) that
are in the user's roster with a subscription type of "from" or "both"'

However, should C receive A and B's presence? A and B do not have C in
their roster - so do not pass the condition '(1) that are in the
user's roster with a subscription type of "from" or "both"', but does
section 7.1 override this requirement?

Thanks

Theo