[Standards] long specs

Dave Cridland dave at cridland.net
Wed Feb 15 16:35:50 UTC 2012

On Wed Feb 15 16:26:25 2012, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> We have two really long specs: XEP-0045 and XEP-0060.
>
> In the XMPP Council meeting just now, we talked about some ways to
> shorten these documents.
>
> The rough consensus seemed to be that for XEP-0045 we could probably
> move the moderator/admin/owner use cases to a separate spec. A quick
> visual comparison of the following two URLs indicates that we'd cut
> about 40% (or more) of XEP-0045 by doing that:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#moderator
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#statuscodes
>
> Notice also the length of these sections:
>
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#registrar-formtype
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#schemas-admin
> http://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0045.html#schemas-owner
>
> I'd be willing to work on this, but I want to make sure that people
> think there's value in doing so.
>
> Ralph Meijer might post separately about XEP-0060.

I'm happy with splitting these up, but can we also manage to sort out
some related updates to XEP-0001:

a) I'd like to be able to have "stable" and "working" copies of the
same spec, particularly for major revisions like XEP-0045 is
currently going through.

b) I'd like to be able to have the ability to enter a XEP that's been
hived off from another mature XEP (or RFC) directly into Draft, for
instance. This has come up previously.

Any interest?

Dave.
Dave Cridland - mailto:dave at cridland.net - xmpp:dwd at dave.cridland.net