[Standards] Timezone element in XEP-0080: User Location

Jonny Lamb jonny.lamb at collabora.co.uk
Fri May 11 15:36:22 UTC 2012

Good afternoon.

It would be cool if we could display the local user time of remote
contacts like how Skype does[0]. The most logical place to me to put
this information feels like PEP like with the other location stuff.

I've attached a patch which simply adds a timezone element to XEP-0080:
User Location. Have I missed something here? Is there somewhere more
appropriate for this information?

(Yes, you could work out the timezone from the location, but not only
is that annoying because then you'd need to do some kind of coordinate
→ timezone translation) but I also get the feeling people would be
happier to disclose their timezone, and less keen to disclose their
location coordinates (even when fuzzed).

What do you think?

Cheers,

0. http://blogs.gnome.org/wjjt/2012/05/11/maps-and-clocks-and-contact-locations/

--