[Summit] Tigase and version attribute on stream element..

Matthew Wild mwild1 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 17:32:44 CST 2010

On 22 July 2010 18:06, Steffen Larsen <zooldk at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi All!,
> During our summit here monday and tuesday, we came across some obstacles
> with Tigase and its way to make S2S  stream headers. It was missing the
> version attribute on the stream element (see
> http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/XMPP_Summit_Interop).

> Most people at the summit thought that the attribute was mandatory, but it
> seems not.
> Can any body enlighten me? :-)

Without reading the spec...

It's mandatory to send it for XMPP 1.0 streams. However you may want
to be prepared to receive it (especially over s2s) as there are still
a lot of pre-(standardised )XMPP implementations about.

Clients that don't send 1.0 are likely going to try logging in on
5223, and probably use legacy authentication rather than SASL.

However all this is a bit ad-hoc... some clients will not report
version 1.0, but still use some features like TLS or SASL if offered
(most servers still send stream:features to non-1.0 clients I
believe).

RFC3920-compliant stream (stream features, TLS, SASL and friends),
don't send it if you're not. Be prepared for other servers/clients to
compulsively lie.

Matthew