[xmppwg] A draft on combined use of XMPP & SIP: Presentation at the XMPP BOF

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at stpeter.im
Mon Mar 9 20:51:24 CDT 2009

Terve Markus & Simo,

On 3/9/09 12:32 PM, Markus.Isomaki at nokia.com wrote:

> We have put together a draft that proposes some practices and defines
> a couple of protocol extensions for endpoints to integrate SIP and
> XMPP in a seamless manner. Specifically, we are talking about a
> scenario where the endpoint uses SIP for VoIP/telephony and video
> while using XMPP for presence/IM, and wants to offer a seamless user
> experience for the overall service.
>
> The draft can be located here:
> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-veikkolainen-sip-voip-xmpp-im-00

A few small points:

1. The XMPP Standards Foundation no longer issues namespaces of the form
http://jabber.org/protocol/* (instead we use urn:xmpp:* per RFC 4854 as
discussed in XEP-0053).

2. How is the <sip-contact/> element (Section 6.1.1) different from the
<contact/> element (Section 6.2)?

3. I think you have some errors in the XML of your examples, mostly
extra double-quotes like this:

        <sip-contact target="<sip:bob at domain.com">;gr=urn:
                 uuid:f81d4fae-7dec-11d0-a765-00a0c91e6bf6;
                 audio;video"
                 xmlns="http//jabber.org/protocol/contact"/>

For the rest I'm still thinking. :)

> We would very much like to have a short presentation at the XMPP BOF.
> The logical agenda topic would be the one where the SIP and XMPP
> interworking drafts are discussed.

That seems reasonable. :)

https://stpeter.im/