Fwd: [Members] Google Summer of Code 2013 - please submit potential ideas
I have two ideas that I think could be good. Like to try them on the list before putting them on the wiki *Implementing EXI both server and clients*: Quite large work but perhaps to boring for the GSOC. http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/2012-March/006712.html http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/standards/2013-March/027188.html *Next generation sensor networks and services*: Peter W and I is working on a new set of XEP's for creating interoperable flow of data for the Internet Of Things with the whole chain of deploying devices and connecting services The project would implement the proposed XEP's and create services utilizing open sensor networks for energy services, support elderly, internet of sports. earlier work http://xmpp.org/extensions/inbox/sensors.html http://mail.jabber.org/pipermail/members/2013-January/006921.html /Joachim ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: Simon Tennant <simon@buddycloud.com> Date: 2013/3/11 Subject: Re: [Members] Google Summer of Code 2013 - please submit potential ideas To: XSF Members <members@xmpp.org> Following up on the call for GSOC interest, I'm inclined to believe that there are no projects interested in going through the XSF this year. if indeed you are, please submit today so that we can make a decision about pushing in an application or not. http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summer_of_Code_2013. S. On 6 March 2013 12:01, Simon Tennant <simon@buddycloud.com> wrote:
We're at the point of deciding whether there is interest in GOSC. While there is definitely student interest, it's more a question of leadership and mentoring time.
I put together a template for gathering project ideas with an emphasis on them demonstrating how they will do two things that I think are very important if we do decide to go ahead with GSOC: * be useful to XMPP * demonstrate that the student is a communicative self-starter.
If you have ideas - please update them on:
http://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Summer_of_Code_2013. Deadline: March 11.
This will then help us decide if there is enough interest and that the potential projects are worth sheparding.
S.
-- Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours: goo.gl/tQgxP
-- Simon Tennant | buddycloud.com | +49 17 8545 0880 | office hours: goo.gl/tQgxP -- Hälsningar Joachim Lindborg Teknisk Chef Sustainable Innovation AB Adress: Box 55998 102 16 Stockholm Besöksadress: Storgatan 31 (Malmgården) Email: Joachim.lindborg@sust.se, www.sust.se Tel +46 706-442270
Can anyone speak from experience on using SASL EXTERNAL for c2s connections? E.g. A client authenticating with a certificate rather than a password. Certificates seem more appropriate for managing many IoT cases. I can't find much — or any — information on SASL EXTERNAL support for most of the common servers and client implementations. So has anyone used certificate auth for XMPP clients? I'm particularly interested in the more common open source clients and servers – Smack, OpenFire, ejabberd, Prosody but any first-hand knowledge would be helpful. Thanks in advance. -Thom This email and any information disclosed in connection herewith, whether written or oral, is the property of EnerNOC, Inc. and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distributing or copying any information contained in this email to anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited.
On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 3:06 PM, Thomas Nichols <tnichols@enernoc.com> wrote:
Can anyone speak from experience on using SASL EXTERNAL for c2s connections? E.g. A client authenticating with a certificate rather than a password. Certificates seem more appropriate for managing many IoT cases.
I can't find much — or any — information on SASL EXTERNAL support for most of the common servers and client implementations. So has anyone used certificate auth for XMPP clients? I'm particularly interested in the more common open source clients and servers – Smack, OpenFire, ejabberd, Prosody but any first-hand knowledge would be helpful.
I can't speak for the OSS servers, but Swift (OSS) has been tested quite a lot with SASL EXTERNAL against M-Link (not OSS). /K
I've used sasl external on openfire with a nodejs client recently and blogged about it: http://servicelab.org/2012/04/26/how-to-use-xmpp-sasl-external-with-node-js/ My experience is that maneging the certicicates is not that easy. Also it doesnt help that the certificates need to be server signed as well. Hope this helps. Br. Eelco Sent from my mobile phone On 13 mrt. 2013, at 16:07, "Thomas Nichols" <tnichols@enernoc.com<mailto:tnichols@enernoc.com>> wrote: Can anyone speak from experience on using SASL EXTERNAL for c2s connections? E.g. A client authenticating with a certificate rather than a password. Certificates seem more appropriate for managing many IoT cases. I can't find much — or any — information on SASL EXTERNAL support for most of the common servers and client implementations. So has anyone used certificate auth for XMPP clients? I'm particularly interested in the more common open source clients and servers – Smack, OpenFire, ejabberd, Prosody but any first-hand knowledge would be helpful. Thanks in advance. -Thom This email and any information disclosed in connection herewith, whether written or oral, is the property of EnerNOC, Inc. and is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential or otherwise protected from disclosure. Distributing or copying any information contained in this email to anyone other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. _______________________________________________ IOT mailing list IOT@xmpp.org<mailto:IOT@xmpp.org> http://mail.jabber.org/mailman/listinfo/iot This e-mail and its contents are subject to the DISCLAIMER at http://www.tno.nl/emaildisclaimer
participants (4)
-
Cramer, E.R. (Eelco) -
Joachim Lindborg -
Kevin Smith -
Thomas Nichols