Dear Board members,

This email announces the agenda for our next Board meeting, scheduled for Thursday, 10 September 2026, from 16:00 to 16:30 UTC. The meeting will take place in the XSF chatroom at xmpp:xsf@muc.xmpp.org?join.

I'm aware that the agenda below uses plenty of markup, which may affect rendering. The same agenda is available on the XSF wiki, which may be helpful in case your mail client does not render this email as intended: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/Board-Meeting-2026-09-10#Agenda 

Please review the relevant materials ahead of the meeting so that we can use our time efficiently.

Kind regards,

  Guus

1. Welcome
Opening of the meeting. Roll call and confirmation of quorum.
2. Formalize Agenda
Recommendation: A1 as the substantive item, with A2 and A3 as short items. Section C assignments to be confirmed by name before close.
Items not selected are deferred, not dropped.

Section A - recommended for today

A1. Jabber Trademark: separate the questions (20 min - decision)
The 27 August discussion did not conclude. It repeatedly collapsed three distinct questions into one. Ralph set them out as:
  1. Does the sublicensing programme, in its current form, exist?
  2. If so, does the XSF want to continue it?
  3. What happens to it if the XSF changes domicile, or winds down?
Ralph also noted (and dwd agreed) that these need not be approached together. A request that Cisco recognise a successor entity concerns the XSF's own use of the Mark, which Ralph noted is not in question today, and need not mention the sublicensing programme at all. The two approaches can be made separately, or one without the other.

Positions stated on 27 August Decisions sought
  1. Whether to decouple the successor-entity request from the sublicensing question, per Ralph and dwd.
  2. On question 2 above - does the XSF want to continue the programme at all? Mickaël has proposed it should not. This is answerable today and does not depend on legal advice.
  3. Whether new applications are issued while the programme's status is disputed. Ge0rG has indicated he intends to apply, for a non-commercial hosting collective, and asked for a grace period before Cisco is contacted. Guus questioned whether the XSF should issue anything under a programme in this state.
  4. Whether to suspend or annotate the public sublicensing pages pending the above.
Not for decision today
Status of actions from 27 August
A2. Legal questions: assemble the list (10 min - decision)
No agreement was reached on 27 August about obtaining legal advice. Guus observed that the legal arguments in the meeting were not helping and that none of those present are lawyers; Ralph did not consider the discussion disruptive in itself. From the floor, it was suggested a trademark lawyer would be needed before contacting Cisco. Ralph confirmed the XSF has members who are lawyers but does not currently retain any.

Before the Board can decide whether to seek counsel, it needs to know what it would ask. No such list exists. This item is about producing one; the decision on counsel follows.

Known questions, as a starting point Decisions sought
  1. Who drafts the consolidated list, and by when.
  2. Whether EU-transition questions are bundled with the trademark ones or kept separate.
  3. Whether to ask Matija Šuklje to help frame the questions. He offered assistance on standards@ in May and was explicit he cannot provide Legal Advice - which makes scoping an appropriate use of the offer. See also C2.
A3. EU Legal Structure: self-assessments have stalled (5 min - decision)
Not reached on 27 August. The Board agreed on 18 June that authors would self-assess "before a date to be communicated". The call went out on 4 June; no date was ever communicated, and no self-assessment has been posted to members@ in the three months since.
Decisions sought
  1. A firm deadline.
  2. Whether to contact the proposal authors directly rather than via the list.
  3. What happens to proposals whose authors do not respond - Board-prepared assessment, or drop from consideration.
Wiki page: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/XSF_EU_Legal_Transition_Proposal

Section B - candidate items, deferred unless promoted

B1. Volunteer capacity (15 min - discussion)
Deferred from 2026-08-27. Guus wrote on standards@ in July that the volunteering force is one of the XSF's most valuable assets, that the XSF has not historically done well at preventing burnout among those volunteers, and that it needs to do better. Two signals from that discussion bear on this directly: The XSF's volunteer force is not within the Council's remit. This item exists because no other body owns it.
For discussion
  1. What concrete support the Editor and Council need, and whether the Board can supply or fund it.
  2. Whether the Editor function has sufficient redundancy.
  3. Whether the Board should adopt any ongoing practice for noticing volunteer load before it becomes attrition.
B2. IPR policy: warranty, copyright, and AI-assisted contributions (20 min - decision)
Deferred from 2026-08-27. Goffi has asked three times whether this belongs with the Board - twice in May, and again in July, when he asked whether the discussion should continue on standards@ or whether the Board should take it up and ask a team to work on an XSF statement on AI use. That question remains unanswered.
Guus, as a Board member, twice replied that the matter was not yet ready, and set out what would change that: a concrete proposal with prior art behind it. The prior-art survey is now complete. Whether a concrete proposal exists is for the Board to judge.

The narrow question
Marvin argued on standards@ that AI-generated content cannot comply with the IPR policy as written: §3.1 requires the author to assign ownership they may not hold, and §4 requires a copyright notice that may be invalid. Dave argued the warranty model already indemnifies the XSF, since the author asserts they can assign and the XSF accepts in good faith.

Alternatives raised
Decisions sought
  1. Whether the current IPR policy is adequate as written, or is to be opened.
  2. If opened, which direction, and who drafts.
  3. Whether any XSF-wide statement is commissioned beyond Council's XEP-0143 work, and a reply to Goffi either way.
Scope note: author-facing guidance belongs in XEP-0143 and is Council's. PR #1552 is with Council, where revised wording was proposed at the most recent Council meeting. The Board should not duplicate that work.

Mailing list thread: https://mail.jabber.org/hyperkitty/list/standards@xmpp.org/thread/TEATGPR45FKDE767ADOQMAPDVBOC2ZQW
Prior art: https://wiki.xmpp.org/web/AI_contribution_policies_in_other_projects
XEP-0143 PR #1552: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/1552

Section C - assignments

Listed on 2026-08-27 but not confirmed. To be read out and owners named before close.

C1. Role address audit.
trademark@xmpp.org has been reported bouncing since June; no sublicense application can be filed while it is broken. The Board agreed on 18 June that this should be addressed; it appears not to have been. The CoC also publishes no contact address for the Board or conduct team. Confirm every XSF role address is monitored and published. Owner: TBD
C2. Counsel enquiry.
Peter offered in July to raise the question of counsel on the open-source foundations list.
Confirm status. Feeds A2. Owner: TBD
C3. Historical enquiry: Joe Hildebrand.
Agreed 2026-08-27. Ralph to be copied. Owner: Mickaël

Standing items

3. Any Other Business (AOB) (3 min)
4. Date of next meeting (2 min)
Proposed: Thursday, 24 September 2026, at the usual time, resuming the fortnightly cadence.
5. Close