Subject: [Board] Open Letter from the XMPP Standards Foundation: Support True Messaging Interoperability with XMPP
From: Ralph Meijer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Cc: XMPP Standards Foundation <[email-masked]>, XSF Board <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2025 18:47:45 +0100
List-Id: XSF Board <board.xmpp.org>

Dear Meta Team, Tom Alison, Dick Brouwer, Will Cartcart,

The European Digital Markets Act (DMA) is designed to break down walled 
gardens and enforce messaging interoperability. As a designated 
gatekeeper, Meta—controlling WhatsApp and Messenger—must comply. 
However, its current proposal falls short, risking further entrenchment 
of its dominance rather than fostering genuine competition.

    The Problem with Meta’s Interoperability Plan //
    <https://xmpp.org/announcements/open-letter-meta-dma/#the-problem-with-metas-interoperability-plan>

Meta’s proposed approach relies on restrictive NDAs, proprietary APIs, 
and centralized control. This is *not true interoperability*—it is a 
closed system that forces third parties to operate within Meta’s terms, 
undermining the spirit of the DMA. Key issues include:

  *

    *Gatekeeper Agreements:* Companies must sign NDAs to access
    interoperability details, creating artificial barriers. Managing
    these legal aspects increases costs for all parties involved.

  *

    *API-Based Control:* APIs limit flexibility, can be modified
    unilaterally, do not scale for true federation, and have to maintained.

  *

    *User Tracking Risks:* The approach involves compliance issues of
    tracking third-party users at Meta, as well as third-parties
    tracking Meta’s users.

  *

    *Scalability Issues:* Maintaining separate API bridges for each
    provider is inefficient and prevents sustainable competition.

    The Solution: XMPP Federation //
    <https://xmpp.org/announcements/open-letter-meta-dma/#the-solution-xmpp-federation>

Meta does not need to reinvent interoperability. The *eXtensible 
Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)* is a *proven, open standard* 
that has powered global federated messaging for 25 years. XMPP enables 
*direct server-to-server communication*, removing the need for 
restrictive agreements and ensuring:

  *

    *Seamless Federation*: connecting users across providers, just like
    email or phone networks.

  *

    *Decentralized Control*: allowing each service provider to enforce
    its own policies.

  *

    *Enhanced Privacy*: avoiding unnecessary data exposure.

  *

    *Scalability and Flexibility*: ensuring long-term sustainability.

    Meta Has Already Used XMPP—Why Not Now? //
    <https://xmpp.org/announcements/open-letter-meta-dma/#meta-has-already-used-xmppwhy-not-now>

*WhatsApp was built on an XMPP-based server*, and Meta has previously 
*supported XMPP in Facebook Messenger*. The protocol is already 
battle-tested at scale. Furthermore, *Meta is embracing federation for 
Threads with ActivityPub*, proving that interoperability works when it 
serves Meta’s strategic interests.

If Threads can federate, so can WhatsApp and Messenger.

    A Call to Action //
    <https://xmpp.org/announcements/open-letter-meta-dma/#a-call-to-action>

We urge Meta to *adopt XMPP for messaging interoperability*. The *XMPP 
Standards Foundation (XSF)* is ready to collaborate, continue to evolve 
the protocol to meet modern needs, and ensure true compliance with the 
DMA. Let’s build an open, competitive messaging ecosystem—one that 
benefits both users and service providers.

It’s time for real interoperability. Let’s make it happen.

Kind regards,

Ralph Meijer
Chair of the Board <https://xmpp.org/about/xsf/people/#chair>
On behalf of the XSF Board and Members

------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Further Reading //
      <https://xmpp.org/announcements/open-letter-meta-dma/#further-reading>

  * Detailed Technical Briefing
    <https://xmpp.org/announcements/open-letter-meta-dma/technical-briefing/>
    on the case for XMPP: why Meta must embrace true messaging
    interoperability.