Expose donation information at xmpp.org
Dear members, I hope you are doing all fine. TL;DR: Can we present XMPP Project donation information at xmpp.org per software listed? (which involes updating the DOAP XEP [1]) As you know we are having a great success since we started publishing XMPP software and project information via the .doap files at xmpp.org. It not just allowed to improve the visualization but helped even build new tools for comparison of the capabilities behind each software, such as the XMPP Software Comparison [2]. Many thanks to Daniel Brötzmann in that regard! For a while there is the idea out to also support the projects by presenting a direct reference to their donation information and beyond. It would hopefully help projects run by volunteers to generate a bit more attention to their background and also to give something back. Of course, there can be more ideas on what other things we can do, too. This should be a discussion if such a promotion of donation information is okay to do. It should not be not about the DOAP standard. That we can take in a different fora. (But yes, it would require an update of the XEP.) Best regards, Eddie [1] XEP-0453: DOAP usage in XMPP https://xmpp.org/extensions/xep-0453.html [2] Software · XMPP Software Comparison https://xmpp.org/software/software-comparison/
Hello everyone, Thanks Eddie for bringing up this conversation! This is something I was thinking about too, in the context of discontinuation of our fiscal hosting programme. Our newsletter listed donation pages for our fiscally hosted projects, and I thought we could use the opportunity to "decouple" it from fiscal hosting as it were and list any XMPP project that was looking for funding, not just ones under our (deprecated) fiscal hosting programme. Taking the information from a DOAP file is a brilliant idea! I was thinking we would need to have a conversation about how to vet the donation pages before listing them and who would do that work, but we can bypass that by delegating it to the DOAP file which is already controlled by the project in question (which we have consciously reviewed and decided to add to our listing) To be clear, I am not pushing for inclusion of the newsletter; we can have that as a different conversation. And like Eddie I will not start a discussion about the DOAP standard either :-P TLDR: I support the idea of publicising donation information about XMPP projects in some form, and pulling it in a low-effort way from the respective project repos sounds like a good way to go about it. Best, Badri
Thank you Badri for you support! Here a kind call for more input; possibly also if it is relevant for Board to decide in the end. Cheers, Eddie On 28/03/2026 12:45, Badri Sunderarajan wrote:
Hello everyone,
Thanks Eddie for bringing up this conversation! This is something I was thinking about too, in the context of discontinuation of our fiscal hosting programme. Our newsletter listed donation pages for our fiscally hosted projects, and I thought we could use the opportunity to "decouple" it from fiscal hosting as it were and list any XMPP project that was looking for funding, not just ones under our (deprecated) fiscal hosting programme.
Taking the information from a DOAP file is a brilliant idea! I was thinking we would need to have a conversation about how to vet the donation pages before listing them and who would do that work, but we can bypass that by delegating it to the DOAP file which is already controlled by the project in question (which we have consciously reviewed and decided to add to our listing)
To be clear, I am not pushing for inclusion of the newsletter; we can have that as a different conversation. And like Eddie I will not start a discussion about the DOAP standard either :-P
TLDR: I support the idea of publicising donation information about XMPP projects in some form, and pulling it in a low-effort way from the respective project repos sounds like a good way to go about it.
Best, Badri
Hi again, I am not sure what the status of this is, but I just remembered that as an alternative to DOAP there is also funding.json <https://fundingjson.org/> which is specifically designed to help projects broadcast their donation info. It is backed by Zerodha's "FLOSS Fund" initiative. This could be used instead of (or in addition to?) extending DOAP. (Of course this is a discussion that should take place separately than the decision of whether to highlight donation options at all, but I thought it would be useful to provide a concrete non-DOAP example as well) Best, Badri
participants (2)
-
Badri Sunderarajan -
E.M.