Include contact information for XSF Members on the website
Dear XSF members, The xmpp.org website describes the organisation of the XSF, including its members and their roles. One of the key purposes of the website is to help interested individuals and organisations get in touch with people involved in XMPP. Where we list XSF members on the website, we should include appropriate contact information (such as email addresses, XMPP handles) to make it easier for visitors to reach out to them directly (more importantly for people that serve on bodies like Board and Council) Providing contact details would: - Improve accessibility and communication within the XMPP community. - Encourage collaboration and engagement with developers, contributors, and newcomers. - Align with the XSF’s goal of openness and community-driven development. We have already recorded JIDs for all members on the website. I suggest that we add email addresses for people that are interested in having their contact details published, and think of some kind of opt-in mechanism. An implementation of this is in the works at https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/issues/1572 which contains a mock up of a possible realisation. What do you think? Kind regards, Guus
Dear Guus,
We have already recorded JIDs for all members on the website. I suggest that we add email addresses for people that are interested in having their contact details published, and think of some kind of opt-in mechanism.
I support this idea. I want to make it easy for interesting people to contact me, and it would also be nice to be able to quickly look up the contact details of other XSF members I want to reach out to. This information is already available in the membership applications as you mentioned; this means I can still reach out to them but it's always a bit of a hunt and it's also not clear whether the members are okay with being contacted that way or not. Having an opt-in mechanism would make it clear that communication is welcome through the provided channel(s)
An implementation of this is in the works at https://github.com/xsf/xmpp.org/issues/1572 which contains a mock up of a possible realisation.
The design looks good. Non-distruptive, but still reasonably available! By the way, what is members.json and where is it used? Is it what memberbot relies on? I think some kind of spam protection as mentioned on the GitHub issue could be desirable, though not a deal-breaker for me. Some websites ask the user to solve a CAPTCHA before providing contact details. Personally, I have a separate public JID to prevent spam on my main one (another reason an opt-in process would be useful, as it would let people specify which JID or email ID they want to receive communication on). As for email, that spam box gets filled up already so it's something of a lost cause anyway (-: Best wishes, Badri
participants (2)
-
Badri Sunderarajan -
Guus der Kinderen