mailing list simplification
Hi all, The XSF infrastructure team is planning to move our mailman installation from a dedicated machine to a cloud service. In preparation for doing so, I have just deleted three lists that are no longer in use: iot@xmpp.org security@xmpp.org server-developers@xmpp.org If IOT or security topics arise, they can be discussed on this list or in the xsf@muc.xmpp.org chatroom. Peter
Hi Peter, While I'm all in favour of dropping mailing lists that aren't used, was the security@ list for general discussion, or reporting? That is, was it used for third parties to report security issues to the XSF Infra team or something like that? No objections at all to the other two going - never knew the server-developers list even existed (or if I did, long since forgotten about it). Dave. On Mon, 14 Oct 2024 at 17:27, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im> wrote:
Hi all,
The XSF infrastructure team is planning to move our mailman installation from a dedicated machine to a cloud service. In preparation for doing so, I have just deleted three lists that are no longer in use:
iot@xmpp.org security@xmpp.org server-developers@xmpp.org
If IOT or security topics arise, they can be discussed on this list or in the xsf@muc.xmpp.org chatroom.
Peter
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
IIRC, the security@xmpp.org list was originally set up to discuss end-to-end encryption, but that never really happened there. I have not seen activity there in years. The server-developers list was a non-public list set up to discuss coordinated responses to security vulnerabilities, probably around the time of the billion laughs attack. Although we might want to set up a similar list, its membership might be quite different today. On 10/14/24 10:30 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
Hi Peter,
While I'm all in favour of dropping mailing lists that aren't used, was the security@ list for general discussion, or reporting? That is, was it used for third parties to report security issues to the XSF Infra team or something like that?
No objections at all to the other two going - never knew the server- developers list even existed (or if I did, long since forgotten about it).
Dave.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2024 at 17:27, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im <mailto:stpeter@stpeter.im>> wrote:
Hi all,
The XSF infrastructure team is planning to move our mailman installation from a dedicated machine to a cloud service. In preparation for doing so, I have just deleted three lists that are no longer in use:
iot@xmpp.org <mailto:iot@xmpp.org> security@xmpp.org <mailto:security@xmpp.org> server-developers@xmpp.org <mailto:server-developers@xmpp.org>
If IOT or security topics arise, they can be discussed on this list or in the xsf@muc.xmpp.org <mailto:xsf@muc.xmpp.org> chatroom.
Peter
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org <mailto:standards@xmpp.org> To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org <mailto:standards-leave@xmpp.org>
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
I am also in favour of dropping these lists, just for completeness though: XEP-0002 (SIGs) demands a mailing list per SIG and at least iot@ seems to have been the mailing list belonging to the IoT SIG (XEP-0381). On 15.10.24 03:10, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
IIRC, the security@xmpp.org list was originally set up to discuss end-to-end encryption, but that never really happened there. I have not seen activity there in years.
The server-developers list was a non-public list set up to discuss coordinated responses to security vulnerabilities, probably around the time of the billion laughs attack. Although we might want to set up a similar list, its membership might be quite different today.
On 10/14/24 10:30 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
Hi Peter,
While I'm all in favour of dropping mailing lists that aren't used, was the security@ list for general discussion, or reporting? That is, was it used for third parties to report security issues to the XSF Infra team or something like that?
No objections at all to the other two going - never knew the server- developers list even existed (or if I did, long since forgotten about it).
Dave.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2024 at 17:27, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im <mailto:stpeter@stpeter.im>> wrote:
Hi all,
The XSF infrastructure team is planning to move our mailman installation from a dedicated machine to a cloud service. In preparation for doing so, I have just deleted three lists that are no longer in use:
iot@xmpp.org <mailto:iot@xmpp.org> security@xmpp.org <mailto:security@xmpp.org> server-developers@xmpp.org <mailto:server-developers@xmpp.org>
If IOT or security topics arise, they can be discussed on this list or in the xsf@muc.xmpp.org <mailto:xsf@muc.xmpp.org> chatroom.
Peter
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org <mailto:standards@xmpp.org> To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org <mailto:standards-leave@xmpp.org>
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
Thanks for mentioning the IoT SIG - I had forgotten about that, and it was bad of me to delete the list while the SIG (nominally) exists. Given that the SIG is apparently inactive, I will propose to the Council that we disband the SIG. On 10/15/24 12:48 AM, Tim Henkes wrote:
I am also in favour of dropping these lists, just for completeness though: XEP-0002 (SIGs) demands a mailing list per SIG and at least iot@ seems to have been the mailing list belonging to the IoT SIG (XEP-0381).
On 15.10.24 03:10, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
IIRC, the security@xmpp.org list was originally set up to discuss end-to-end encryption, but that never really happened there. I have not seen activity there in years.
The server-developers list was a non-public list set up to discuss coordinated responses to security vulnerabilities, probably around the time of the billion laughs attack. Although we might want to set up a similar list, its membership might be quite different today.
On 10/14/24 10:30 AM, Dave Cridland wrote:
Hi Peter,
While I'm all in favour of dropping mailing lists that aren't used, was the security@ list for general discussion, or reporting? That is, was it used for third parties to report security issues to the XSF Infra team or something like that?
No objections at all to the other two going - never knew the server- developers list even existed (or if I did, long since forgotten about it).
Dave.
On Mon, 14 Oct 2024 at 17:27, Peter Saint-Andre <stpeter@stpeter.im <mailto:stpeter@stpeter.im>> wrote:
Hi all,
The XSF infrastructure team is planning to move our mailman installation from a dedicated machine to a cloud service. In preparation for doing so, I have just deleted three lists that are no longer in use:
iot@xmpp.org <mailto:iot@xmpp.org> security@xmpp.org <mailto:security@xmpp.org> server-developers@xmpp.org <mailto:server-developers@xmpp.org>
If IOT or security topics arise, they can be discussed on this list or in the xsf@muc.xmpp.org <mailto:xsf@muc.xmpp.org> chatroom.
Peter
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org <mailto:standards@xmpp.org> To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org <mailto:standards-leave@xmpp.org>
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
_______________________________________________ Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
Standards mailing list -- standards@xmpp.org To unsubscribe send an email to standards-leave@xmpp.org
participants (3)
-
Dave Cridland -
Peter Saint-Andre -
Tim Henkes