ProtoXEP: SASL2 Terms of Service Acceptance Task
Hi all, I'd like to submit a proposal for consideration as a XEP. The PR linked below is a draft SASL2 task, built on the extensibility mechanism of XEP-0388, that lets a server require a user to accept the current terms of service before authentication completes. It defines a single task on top of the generic <continue/> flow. Briefly, the task lets the server present the current terms and version and the client accept them within the SASL2 negotiation, and treats acceptance as a per-account record the server should persist, with a non-fatal fallback (re-ask next time) for anonymous authentication or a transient storage failure. I'm bringing this at an early stage deliberately: I'd like the list to shape a rough idea through discussion rather than just rubber-stamp a finished one. The alternative to bringing this in rough is having the real discussion happen somewhere else entirely, before it ever reaches this list - I prefer to have that discussion within the XSF ecosystem, because the XSF should be the place where knowledgeable people organize around doing this work, not somewhere they only show up once it's done. Given the recent AI-disclosure thread: this was produced through an extended back-and-forth with Claude, including a full review of the Openfire reference implementation it's based on. The prose is machine-drafted; I made the substantive calls and take responsibility for the result. PR: https://github.com/xsf/xeps/pull/1562 Happy to rework, narrow, or withdraw this based on feedback. Kind regards, Guus
participants (1)
-
Guus der Kinderen