[Council] i18n JEP

Jeremie jeremie at jabber.org
Mon Apr 15 16:38:29 CDT 2002

IMHO it's important to try and take this one in baby-steps, start doing a
little i18n so as to get others with more experience involved to tackle
the harder problems.

In doing that, what about tackling just one aspect in this JEP, the
expression of the language used within that element?  The JEP could be
limited to having a client send an xml:lang attrib on any
iq/message/presence it wanted to express a language preference for.  That
information could be used by any iq-responder (service) to select an
appropriate reply, or by a client receiving a message/presence to indicate
the language used (or offer the use of a translation service :).

This would simplify the JEP significantly and solve DW's immediate
comments (leaving the rest, like querying and negotiation, for future work
based on these steps).  It is simply a recommendation to all clients and
services to express their language, and at this point it would really help
get the ball rolling towards building better i18n support.

Jer