[Council] VOTE[JEP-22]: -1

Jeremie jeremie at jabber.org
Sat Apr 20 13:12:11 CDT 2002

> I like the overall concept. I would like to know why "events" are encoded in
> the element name. It would be much more flexible to have something like:
>
> <x xmlns='jabber:x:event'>
>   <event name='delivered' id='M_22'/>
> </x>

If it were a newly created standards-track JEP, sure, that would be nice
and flexible.  If you want to step up and create such a standards-track
generic event namespace (and maybe find a less-confusing name) that works
in this manner, that would be great.

But that is not what this JEP is, it is purely *informational* and is
important to have published as-is so as to keep compatibility with the
good many clients using it for composing events.

> I just want a good explanation of why it's desirable to hard-code
> event names into element names.

There isn't one, I don't remember where it came from or why it ended up
this way, it was two years ago and we didn't have a council to
double-check these things back then :)

Jer