[Council] VOTE: JEP-0013 (POP3 Handling of Offline Messages)

Craig ckaes at jabber.com
Fri Jan 18 15:55:24 CST 2002

David Waite wrote:

> (no vote quite yet)
>
> A few questions:
>
> 1. Could it be pointed out that XDB is not required for use of the main
> namespace? I understand it is an addition in a particular implementation of
> offline retrieval, but it appears it would be possible to implement this (in
> what perhaps would be a sub-optimal manner) using the existing XDB
> mechanisms. This might be desireable for XDB modules which do not implement
> the new XDB stamping action. More importantly though, the ability to store
> the data is not limited to XDB, and there have been a few next-generation
> data storage and retrieval systems kicked around to fix some of the
> limitations of XDB. Perhaps this could be separated out into two separate
> proposals?

Yup.  This makes sense.  FWIW, I tried to keep my references to a
"storage layer" vague (see section 2.1), but apparently not vague enough
(Section 3 should have not mentioned XDB.)  I did not mean to exclude
any non-XDB storage mechanism  in the required changes section.  More
after #2

> 2. With the XDB separation in mind, there isn't a reason that the
> http://www.jabber.com/xdbuid namespace needs to be referenced at all within
> this spec. The uid attribute can be within the jcs:offline:pop namespace.
> This would save a slight bit of bandwidth.

Again, agreed.  This makes sense.  (Not so much the bandwidth argument
but together with #1, it keeps the offline-pop functionality
encapsulated.)  Then the xdb enhancements (xdbid) would be translated
into a jcs:offline:pop:uid by the offline:pop handler.  Given that the
uid _can_ be handled by the offline-pop handler and not the storage
layer, these really should be two separate jeps.

> 3. Have you considered some sort of IQ set to the server to disable the
> initial flushing of offline messages on presence available? If the server
> does not affirm support, the client knows it does not support this
> pop3-style handling. However, if a client does not send this IQ, they get
> legacy behavior. This might fix the compatibility problem described in
> section 2.4

I would consider this a hack and not in the nice sense of the word ;-).
What we really need is a protocol for client feature negotiation.  Else,
I'd need to send an IQ for each and every feature I want to use.

> 4. I do not know the behavior of the 'thread' value of messages in current
> clients when communicating with an offline user.  However, this might be
> useful for navigating these offline messages in some environments. Normally
> IM communication does not not have the same "brain dump" quality that email
> does - an IM message is just a piece in a larger conversation, rather than
> being a summary of all thoughts on a subject.

I don't see how this fits into pop very well.  Maybe as subject?  I
think the average user can piece together that the five messages you
sent within 10 seconds of each other are related without a thread
identifier.  Let's keep the headers small.