[Council] JEP-20 Comments

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Wed Jul 31 13:12:14 CDT 2002

Mike Lin wrote:
> I think the larger objection I have is that the features are specified
> as a rudimentary flat string. Joe points out that for version numbers,
> you could simply add it to the string; but as soon as you have
> additional attributes to specify, are you then supposed to permute
> over all combinations?
> IMHO, this is a context in which the use of a more structured system
> for describing features is warranted.

I'm not sure I see the need for this added level of complexity.. Can you
give me a concrete example? Different "versions" of a single feature should
be treated as different options for that feature. If I only support "ver 2"
of something, thats the only one I list. And if you only support ver 1, then
we can't do whatever it is we were trying to do. Seems cut and dry enough
for me.

pgm.