[Council] JSF-sponsored projects?

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Mar 19 15:58:32 CST 2002

OK dudes, I'm going to keep plastering this list in the expectation that
something will stick. :) Here's my latest idea: official JSF-sponsored
projects, much in the way that Apache has official projects. These
projects would have the blessing of the JSF as verified implementations of
the Jabber protocols. Right now the Jabber universe is a fragmented place
and there is no way for people (end-users, sysadmins, developers) to know
which implementations of the Jabber protocols are legit and which are not.
One solution might be to have the JSF sponsor certain projects. We might
start with Jabber clients (e.g., one for Windows, one for Linux, perhaps
one for MacOS, perhaps a web client), as well as with one or two server
implementations (jabberd and JabaServer?).

I am not wedded to this idea and I've left out the organizational details
of how this might work (e.g., I think the code itself would still be
hosted on JabberStudio), but I would like to hear what you think. Although
this idea intrigues me and I feel it could add some structure to what
right now is a rather amorphous confederation of coding projects, I should
note that I haven't even convinced myself of that yet, let alone others.

email+jabber: stpeter at jabber.org
weblog: http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/