[Council] JEP-0023 redux

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue May 7 14:00:11 CDT 2002

David Waite wrote:

******

-1, I would like to see it explicitly stated that the TTL is only valid
within a hop (e.g. TTL is not the total time to live for routing that
goes between servers), and is only processed for delayed messages, such
as offline messages.

******

If I understand this paragraph correctly, you have two objections:

1. The TTL does not represent the total time to live for routing of a
chunk from the sender to the intended recipient, since multiple hops could
be required. However, this would seem to require that each hop add its own
TTL attribute in order to implement the functionality laid out in this
JEP.

2. Are you saying that the TTL *should* be processed only for delayed
messages, that it *must* be processed only for delayed messages, or
that right now it *is* processed only for delayed messages (i.e., in
existing implementations)?

email+jabber: stpeter at jabber.org
weblog: http://www.saint-andre.com/blog/