[Council] question about JEP-0029 (JIDs)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Fri May 10 23:45:24 CDT 2002

I've been working the last few nights on a proposed specification for
Jabber URIs (http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jep-0032.html), and I see a
potential conflict regarding allowable characters. Specifically, as far as
I can see, the following characters currently allowed by JEP-0029 would be
disallowed (at least in unescaped form) in a node identifier when included
as part of a URI:

1. Any Unicode character other than US-ASCII
2. #x23 (#)
3. #x24 ($)
4. #x25 (%)
5. #x2B (+)
6. #x2C (,)
7. #x3B (;)
8. #x3D (=)
9. #x3F (?)

I'm not saying we need to be slaves to the URI spec (RFC 2396), but I'm
wondering if we have a good reason to include the ASCII characters
referenced above in a node identifier, since disallowing these
in node identifiers would save us from escaping them in Jabber URIs.
Besides the following potential JIDs both seem almost equally odd:

blah"&'/:<>@blah at jabber.org (bad according to JEP-0029)
blah$+,;=?#%blah at jabber.org (bad according to RFC 2396)

(The effective exclusion of non-ASCII characters is another story -- see
JEP-0032 for a short explanation of this, or see RFC 2396.)

Thoughts?