[Council] VOTE: JEP-0020 (Feature Negotiation)

David Waite mass at akuma.org
Fri Oct 18 11:02:59 CDT 2002

I've been pondering whether x:data would be usable for this. Is

<iq type="get" id="1" to="jack at jabber.org/client">
   <query xmlns="jabber:iq:negotiate">
	  <feature type="jabber:iq:oob">
       <option>p2p-initiate</option>
       <option>p2p-receive</option>
       <option>webdav</option>
       <option>jabber-pass</option>
     </feature>
   </query>
</iq>

that different from something like

<iq type="get" id="1" to="jack at jabber.org/client">
   <query xmlns="jabber:iq:negotiate">
        <x xmlns='jabber:x:data'>
	  <field var="jabber:iq:oob" type='list-multi'>
               <value>p2p-initiate</value>
               <value>p2p-receive</value>
               <value>webdav</value>
               <value>jabber-pass</value>
           </field>
       </x>
   </query>
</iq>

Actually, Example 4 within the feature negotiation JEP describes
negotiating the time and place for lunch - this could be a plain form
presented to the user via x:data.

x:data does not require the user to enter the data, although it does
have minimal information added to allow for user presentation. If field
identifiers and values are registered with an JANA/IANA organization or
mutually understood by all parties involved, the data can be
manipulated and understood by software rather than by a human user.

So, should feature negotiation just use x:data?

-David Waite