[Council] spring cleaning!

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Apr 21 16:06:14 CDT 2003

In attempting to prepare an agenda for tomorrow's protocol discussion,
I notice that we need to do some spring cleaning on Experimental JEPs:

http://www.jabber.org/jeps/jeplist.php?type=All&status=Experimental

This is a long list. It needs to be shorter. :-)

Here's my take:

1. Pubsub JEPs 21, 24, 36, 40 should be Retracted or Rejected in
   favor of JEP-0060. If you're an author of one of these and you
   disagree, say so now!

2. I'm planning to update and push the following:
   - 13 (Flexible Offline Message Retrieval)
   - 71 (XHTML IM)
   - 73 (Jabber IM Basic 1.0)
   - 77 (In-Band Registration)
   - 78 (Non-SASL Authentication)

3. Rob, do you have plans for your filtering JEPs (62, 63, 64)?

4. Joe, do you have plans for 33 (Packet Headers), 68 (x:data field
   standardization), and 80 (geoloc)? AFAIK, the answer is yes.

5. Matt, do you have plans for 50 (Ad-Hoc Commands), 70 (Auth via
   HTTP), and 79 (Message Delivery Semantics)? I think so.

6. It seems that 47 (IBB) and 52 (File Transfer) are interlinked and
   still under discussion.

That leaves the following:

- 18 (Presence) -- this should be retracted (handled by XMPP WG)
- 31 (Security Framework) -- seemingly inactive
- 38 (Icon Styles) -- some controversy in the Council over this
- 39 (Statistics Gathering) -- ukscone?
- 41 (Jidlink) -- how does this relate to 65 and 47? retract?
- 43 (Jabber Database Access) -- zion?
- 48 (Bookmark Storage) -- pgm?
- 51 (Redirect and Connection Transfer) -- no discussion on this yet
- 56 (Business Data Interchange) -- ulrich?
- 57 (Extended Roster) -- alexey?
- 58 (Multi-User Text Editing) -- alexey?
- 59 (Limiting and Paging Extension) -- popular idea, needs to be pushed
- 61 (Shared Notes) -- jer?
- 67 (Stock Data Transmission) -- ulrich?
- 72 (SOAP over Jabber) -- should be discussed with 75
- 74 (Simple Access Control) -- zion?
- 75 (Jabber Object Access Protocol) -- see 72

I'm sure we can bundle some of these together for discussion purposes
(e.g., 72 and 75), but that still leaves a big list, and we'll never
get through it all in one meeting.

Perhaps we can get through items 1 through 6 in tomorrow's meeting
and then move on to the remainder in next week's meeting.

And if you are an author of one of the JEPs mentioned above and you
either do or do not plan to move it forward, I think the list would
appreciate hearing about it. This will also help the Council plan its
priorities.

Thoughts?

Peter

P.S. The protocol discussion is at 22:00 UTC tomorrow (2003-04-22) in
the foundation at conference.jabber.org room. See you there!