[Council] 2003 roadmap

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Jan 21 18:32:26 CST 2003

The Board has requested that the Jabber Council (and the other official
teams) provide a 2002 report and 2003 roadmap to the Board for planning
purposes. The 2002 report is easy and we can pretty much pull that from
the draft annual report that Bauer and I are working on. The roadmap is a
bit more nebulous, but I think it would be valuable to hash out some
priorities here. The Board specifically requested that we look into
protocols that would help Jabber make inroads into the wireless space
(e.g., data compression and support for non-peristent connections) but I'm
sure there are other priorities as well. Here's a first pass:

SHORT TERM

Advance disco, pubsub, bytestreams, file transfer to Draft.
Advance privacy, feature neg, and MUC to Final.
Document component protocol and XHTML.

LONGER TERM

Standards-track protocol for non-persistent connections (HTTP).
Standards-track protocol for object encryption (in XMPP WG?).
Move forward with filtering?
Work out non-IM uses such as calendaring?
Robust profiles protocol?

Thoughts?