[Council] 2003 roadmap

Thomas Muldowney temas at box5.net
Wed Jan 22 12:22:32 CST 2003

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 06:32:26PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> The Board has requested that the Jabber Council (and the other official
> teams) provide a 2002 report and 2003 roadmap to the Board for planning
> purposes. The 2002 report is easy and we can pretty much pull that from
> the draft annual report that Bauer and I are working on. The roadmap is a
> bit more nebulous, but I think it would be valuable to hash out some
> priorities here. The Board specifically requested that we look into
> protocols that would help Jabber make inroads into the wireless space
> (e.g., data compression and support for non-peristent connections) but I'm
> sure there are other priorities as well. Here's a first pass:
>
> SHORT TERM
>
> Advance disco, pubsub, bytestreams, file transfer to Draft.
> Advance privacy, feature neg, and MUC to Final.
> Document component protocol and XHTML.

These are pretty good short term goals.  XHTML concerns me a bit because
the basic system is still pretty massive.

> LONGER TERM
>
> Standards-track protocol for non-persistent connections (HTTP).

Yeah, that's cool.  How long term though?  It seems like a lot of
momentum is picking up around using HTTP.

> Standards-track protocol for object encryption (in XMPP WG?).

I thought the WG wanted this one?  Which is fine by me.

> Move forward with filtering?

Other jeps I see coming of age soon:  packet headers, icons, and
commands.  Mostly because they rely on our short term goal jeps.

> Work out non-IM uses such as calendaring?
> Robust profiles protocol?

Profiles always scare me, because they are almost a project in
themselves, but I like having bigger goals.  A partial problem though,
many of us don't fully care about some of these issues.  Like
calendaring, I think it's cool and all, but without a cool calendaring
app to motivate me, I don'thave a use for it.  Profiles, eh, I'm just
not a profile person, but again, they are cool.

I guess what it boils down to in my head is that we have to have a
strong person leading the development of larger goal JEPs like these.
Without that they are doomed to fail or burnout.

--temas