[Council] VOTE: JEP-0013 (Flexible Offline Message Retrieval)

Ryan Eatmon reatmon at jabber.org
Mon Jul 14 20:50:36 CDT 2003

I would like to plead bad timing of this vote and OSCON.  I've been
looking at this JEP and I have some big concerns.

When I come back from vacation and try to wade through my emails.  I
have a big advantage: Subjects.  I can quickly tell what the message is
about.  Why are subjects missing from the JEP?

Not to mention the type of the message?  If someone just chats with me I
can probably ignore those, but if someone sends me a normal I might care
more.  Or maybe the other way around...

And what about threads?  Reading one message out of 50 in a row might be
misleading, I need them all.

I can see the need for this JEP, and I can see how it's useful for
crossover into other areas (IMAP, Usenet, etc...)  I think that this JEP
doesn't take Jabber and the IM model into account very well.

How does the size of the disco <item/> compare to the message it is
hiding?  If they are close to the same length, then what is payoff for
those mobile users?

I need to think on this a little more before I give my vote.  I will
look and ponder and give a vote tomorrow.