[Council] XMPP and invisible presence

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Tue Nov 18 17:41:28 CST 2003

One item raised during IETF Last Call was the undesirable indeterminacy
of saying that the value of the 'type' attribute for an IQ, message, or
presence stanza SHOULD be one of the enumerated values (rather than MUST
be one of the enumerated values). I have changed this to MUST in my
working copy XMPP Core (see the latest candidate version). As far as I
can see, the only major implication of this change for current usage is
that <presence type='invisible'/> is now illegal according to XMPP. I'm
not exactly crying over this, but it does put the status of JEP-0018 in
doubt.

Thoughts?