[Council] VOTE: JEP-0047 (In-Band Bytestreams)

Peter Millard me at pgmillard.com
Thu Nov 20 10:51:08 CST 2003

Overall, this JEP looks fine, however I have one significant issue that I'd like
to see addressed before I approve.

I'd like to see some "Implementation/Usage Guidelines" added which make some
SHOULD statements about how big the message packets should really be. IE,
suggest a "chunk" size.

Should the packet size be negotiated between the two endpoints before the data
is transmitted?? For example, I can imagine a handheld device not having enough
memory to handle packets of > 10K for example. Maybe it's sufficient for an
endpoint be able to refuse a stream if the specified packet size is too large...
what I'm thinking is:

<iq type="set" id="inband_1" to="joe at blow.com/Home">
  <open xmlns="http://jabber.org/protocol/ibb" sid="mySID"
            message-size="10240"/>
</iq>

Then the recipient could send back possibly a 406-Not Acceptable if the
message-size is too big. Thoughts??

pgm.