[Council] iq:register update

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Tue Nov 25 22:22:58 CST 2003

On Tue, Nov 25, 2003 at 07:21:30PM -0700, Peter Millard wrote:
> The point of having iq:register as a stream feature is so that a client can
> actually ALLOW the user to attempt to create an account in-band. SASL does not
> allow in band registration, so saying that because a client knows about
> stream:features should be SASL is moot.. iq:register != SASL.

The interaction between iq:register and SASL (if any) has never been
defined, so iq:register can only be used with a view to authenticating
in the future with iq:auth. A pure XMPP client wouldn't know anything
about iq:auth, so advertising support for registration would be
pointless - even if such a client did understand it, it wouldn't be
able to authenticate later.

Perhaps we need to consider how iq:auth (and iq:register) and SASL
should interact. jabberd2 currently allows registration for both legacy
and XMPP clients. Once registered, you can authenticate using either
iq:auth or SASL, whichever you prefer. Most of this is configurable.

Maybe we need to go even further, and decide if a in-band registration
mechanism is really required, and if so, design something that will
work properly with iq:auth. Assuming a password transition is not
enough.

Rob.