[Council] JEP types

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Oct 20 16:05:11 CDT 2003

I think it might be good to have three types of protocol JEPs:

1. Historical -- accurate documentation of older protocols

2. Extension -- protocols of interest that are in wide use within the
Jabber community and that address a common need, but that are not
"foundational" enough to be core protocols

3. Core -- base standards for use by all implementations or required by
official JSF compliance testing programs

(There are also Procedural JEPs, which define the internal functioning
of the JSF, such as JEP-0001 and JIG Formation JEPs.)

Not sure if these are the right names or categories, but I figured I'd
run it up the flagpole to see if anyone saluted. In particular, the
distinction between core and extension is not fully clear to me yet.