[Council] JEP acceptance policy?

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon Oct 20 20:18:39 CDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 04:22:59PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> Matt and I were talking the other day, and a topic that emerged was the
> potential need for a JEP acceptance policy. To date, the JEP Editor has
> been quite liberal in accepting JEPs. It might be better to involve the
> Council up front -- perhaps even to require that a JEP author must seek
> out a "mentor" on the Council before submitting a JEP.

Sounds reasonable, even if its just a Council member giving the JEP a
once over to note any glaring problems, or to comment on whether or not
its really appropriate - I've done this on an informal basis in the
past.

However, I remember discussion in the past about the JEPs becoming more
of a clearing house for people who want to document how they did
something in a central place, so that people interested in similar
things can find out what's been done before.

It seems to me that the first requires tighter controls, while the
second may require looser controls. I don't know which is better at this
stage; it really depends on what direction we want to move in.

Rob.