[Council] JEP types

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Mon Oct 20 20:23:13 CDT 2003

On Mon, Oct 20, 2003 at 04:05:11PM -0500, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I think it might be good to have three types of protocol JEPs:
>
> 1. Historical -- accurate documentation of older protocols
>
> 2. Extension -- protocols of interest that are in wide use within the
> Jabber community and that address a common need, but that are not
> "foundational" enough to be core protocols
>
> 3. Core -- base standards for use by all implementations or required by
> official JSF compliance testing programs
>
> (There are also Procedural JEPs, which define the internal functioning
> of the JSF, such as JEP-0001 and JIG Formation JEPs.)

Seems to be a little clearer that what we currently have.

> Not sure if these are the right names or categories, but I figured I'd
> run it up the flagpole to see if anyone saluted. In particular, the
> distinction between core and extension is not fully clear to me yet.

How about core being "infrastructure" pieces, or "building blocks" if
you like, while extension being more "end-user" addons, or pieces that
are suited to a particular niche rather than for use anywhere on the
network.

Its more complex than that, I know. Disco is clearly "core", user tunes
is clearly "extension", but I don't know about pubsub or muc, which
aren't really either.

(In fact, it occurs to me that they're applications in their own right,
like IM .. maybe).

Just thinking out loud :)

Rob.