[Council] VOTE: JEP-0060 (Publish-Subscribe)

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Tue Oct 21 09:53:00 CDT 2003

-1, for the following reasons:

1)  In section "3. Requirements", it specifies requirements for
identifying a pub/sub node by JID, which specifies the JID must only be
host and resource.  Is there a specific reason why the JID is not
allowed to include a "user" (e.g. user at host/node-id")?

2)  In section "7.1.4. Subscribe to a node", the use of the
jabber:x:data form type='cancel' is not appropriate.  It changes the
meaning of "cancel" from what is described in JEP-0004.  I believe it
would be better to include an additional field to determine if the
subscription is allowed or denied (either a boolean or a list-single
{allow, deny, delay}):
<x xmlns="jabber:x:data" type="form">
    <title>PubSub subscriber request</title>
    <instructions>
      To approve this entity&apos;s subscription request,
      click the OK button. To deny the request, click the
      cancel button.
    </instructions>
    <field var="FORM_TYPE" type="hidden">

<value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#subscribe_authorization</value>
    </field>
    <field var="node"
           type="text-single"
           label="Node ID">
        <value>generic/pgm-mp3-player</value>
    </field>
    <field var="subscriber_jid"
           type="jid-single"
           label="Subscriber Address">
        <value>sub1 at foo.com</value>
    </field>
    <field type="fixed">
        <value>The pubsub node is: generic/pgm-mp3-player</value>
    </field>
    <field type="fixed">
        <value>The subscriber JID is: sub1 at foo.com</value>
    </field>
    <field var="allowed"
           type="boolean"
           label="Allow Subscription?"/>
</x>

3) Also in section "7.1.4. Subscribe to a node", when requesting pending
subscription requests, I feel it would be more appropriate to use an
<iq/> transaction.  Behavior similar to what I believe is being done
here can also be accomplished via Ad-Hoc Commands (JEP-0050):

O:  <iq type='set' from='node-owner' to='pubsub.jabber.org' id='allsubs-1'>
      <command xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/commands'
          node='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub?cmd=get-pending'/>
    </iq>

PS: <iq type='result' from='pubsub.jabber.org' to='node-owner'
id='allsubs-1'>
      <command xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/commands'
          node='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub?cmd=get-pending'
          status='executing'>
        <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='form'>
          <title>PubSub subscriber request</title>
          <instructions>To approve this entity&apos;s subscription request,
          click the OK button. To deny the request, click the
          cancel button.</instructions>
          <field var='FORM_TYPE' type='hidden'>

<value>http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub#subscribe_authorization</value>
          </field>
        </x>
      </command>
    </iq>

O:  <iq type='set' from='node-owner' to='pubsub.jabber.org' id='allsubs-2'>
      <command xmlns='http://jabber.org/protocol/commands'
          node='http://jabber.org/protocol/pubsub?cmd=get-pending'/>
        <x xmlns='jabber:x:data' type='submit'>
        </x>