[Council] summary of JEP process discussion

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Oct 22 10:05:03 CDT 2003

This email summarizes the discussion [1] in yesterday's Council meeting
regarding the JEP process.

1. Protocol developers need more guidance from the Jabber Council early
in the development cycle. Council to develop a "Tao of Jabber" document
and make itself available in a "mentoring" capacity.

2. Council needs to filter proposals before they are accepted as JEPs.
The mentor role will help with this.

3. Before proposals are accepted as JEPs, they can be developed on the
JSF wiki <http://www.jabber.org/wiki/>, which will be refactored as
necessary to make this happen.

4. Reclassify JEPs as Core, Extension, Historical, Procedural, Humorous.

5. We should be able to classify every JEP type as deprecated (and take
that seriously). Further discussion may be required here.

If we reach consensus on this, I see several action items:

1. Update JEP-0001.

2. Reclassify and update existing JEPs, as well as JEP database.

3. Write JabberWay doc.

4. Refactor wiki, possibly using different software (e.g., some wiki
programs allow you to use straight HTML, which we could translate to
JEP-XML via XSLT when the proposal is accepted as a JEP).

/psa

[1]
http://jabber.terrapin.com/conference/council@conference.terrapin.com/2003-10-21.html