[Council] thoughts on "extended presence"

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Mon Oct 27 12:21:21 CST 2003

I've been thinking quite a bit lately about "extended presence"
(changeable attributes about a person, such as geographical location,
mood, and activity). To date, we've pursued these through three JEPs:

- JEP-0080 (Geographical Location)
- JEP-0107 (User Mood)
- JEP-0108 (User Activity)

There is a fourth JEP that sometimes gets bundled in with those three,
namely the "current tune" proposal (JEP-0118). I recently updated the
tune JEP to use the Infobits protocol defined in JEP-0120 and JEP-0121.
In doing so, I noticed that all of the tune information in JEP-0118 can
be captured using common Dublin Core metadata attributes. This has set
me to thinking: what if we had common "extended presence" metadata
attributes that could be used across protocols? It seems silly and
wasteful (not to mention problematic for interoperability) for there to
exist different extended presence metadata in Jabber/XMPP, SIP/SIMPLE,
and Wireless Village (among others). So I'm thinking that it would be
productive for someone to define a common set of presence metadata,
which could be re-used in whatever lexical representation people want.
Just as you can include "DC.Title" (the Dublin Core metadata attribute
for a title) in an HTML meta tag, a Jabber "infobit", or a FOAF file, so
it would be good to be able to include (for example) lat/long data in a
a Jabber presence stanza, a webserver vCard (or vCard replacement), a
SIMPLE RPIDF file, etc. But to do this, we'd need someone to define that
common metadata. There seems to be just such an effort underway in the
Liberty Alliance group, although it has not yet produced any specs. So I
am thinking of contacting the Liberty Alliance folks about this, rather
than pursuing Jabber-specific extended presence at this time. At the
least, I would like to find out what the Liberty Alliance people are
working on and where they see this going. So the extended presence JEPs
may go dormant for a little while (I had been planning on updating them
to use the Infobits protocol, as I've done with JEP-0118, but that seems
premature right now).

Let me know if you have any concerns with this approach.