[Council] proto-JEP: Message Archiving

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Fri Apr 30 10:46:15 CDT 2004

Well, since we're expressing our interpretations of the proto-JEP stage...

I had thought the purpose to seeking council approval (or is that lack
of disapproval?) was to reduce the number of "dead-end JEPs".  So far,
I've seen two primary causes:
1) JEPs that have little or no interest in the community
2) JEPs that have serious technical deficiencies (such as lack of reuse,
does too much, too complex, etc).

Personally, I think the full JSF membership (at the least) would better
determine cause 1, while we (theoretically) are best suited to determine
cause 2.  In fact, I was under the impression from our own discussions
that we would establish the protocol wiki to allow ideas to cultivate
until something "standards quality" emerged.  Since I don't recall
seeing a post to standards-jig and/or an addition to the wiki about it,
I also thought it fair for us to voice concerns now.

-  LW