[Council] Re: VOTE: JEP-0127 (Common Alerting Protocol (CAP) Over XMPP)

Peter Saint-Andre stpeter at jabber.org
Wed Dec 1 17:15:26 CST 2004

In article <5080DC7A-4197-11D9-B337-000A95984138 at box5.net>,
 Thomas Muldowney <temas at box5.net> wrote:

> I would maybe suggest a note about the users of the JEP needing to have
> their own method of finding the actual pubsub nodes to subscribe to, if
> they are used.  There is no internal discovery or named nodes.  I only
> think this could be important because most other pubsub related JEPs
> have this type of information.  This isn't necessary though, and I'm
> still +1 without out.

Now that I look at this more, I think a simple note to this effect would
make sense.

The other pubsub JEPs (e.g., extended presence) show how to find
someone's pubsub nodes based on a bare JID (disco#items
stpeter at jabber.org to find his tunes node, or whatever). In the case of
emergency alerts, one might have something like weather.jabber.org as a
pubsub service and there would perhaps be one alert node for each
weather forecast office (e.g., the "KSTO" in the examples is the
four-character code for the Sacramento WFO).

Alternatively, we could possibly show an example of disco-ing
KSTO at JABBER.NOAA.GOV or whatever and discovering the pubsub node for
emergency alerts originated by that WFO. Would that be more helpful?

/psa