[Council] invisibility

Robert Norris rob at cataclysm.cx
Thu Jan 8 02:18:37 CST 2004

On Tue, Jan 06, 2004 at 10:37:48PM -0600, Peter Saint-Andre wrote:
> I've written a document that describes how to implement invisibility
> using the 'jabber:iq:privacy' namespace:
>
> http://www.jabber.org/~stpeter/editor/invisible.html
>
> I would like this to be an informational JEP so that it can supersede
> JEP-0018 and put to rest the usage of <presence type='invisible'/> (and,
> heaven forbid, <presence type='visible'/>).

First reading looks good, though I haven't had time to study the
protocol.

One thing to consider is an implementation note letting client writers
know that they might want to implement this "behind the scenes" (eg with
a "go invisible" button or whatever). That might not be needed, just
trying to forsee a possible complaint :)

Would there value in reserving (or at least recommending) the list names
so that the "available to N" / "invisible to N" actions are consistent
across clients?

I'd still be quite happy with it as is though - very nice work! And
it'll be great to simplify the j2 presence tracker too :)

Rob.