[Council] proposed DAVmech JEP

Matthew A. Miller linuxwolf at outer-planes.net
Fri Jan 23 11:15:18 CST 2004

I have some serious concerns about this proposed JEP, that I feel need
resolution before actual publication.

My first concern is about SI, and the lack thereof.  I see this proposed
JEP talks about using and being compliant with SI in the introduction
and the requirements...and no where else.  This is concerning because I
don't see anything here that requires a new SI stream method (e.g. what
exactly does this do, SI-wise, that cannot be done with url-data?).

My second concern is with "x:oob".  While I can appreciate the concept
of "offline file transfers", this usage seems especially problematic.
The "x:oob" namespace has previously always been for distributing URL's,
not for transfering files, which has previously always used a different
user interface path than file transfer.  There is also no clue anywhere
to differentiate this "x:oob" that this is supposed to be a file
transfer, but yet REQUIRED additional meaning to be attached to the
message (which, in my opinion, does not a clear differentiator make).
These combined mean that there will be backwards-compatibility issues.

The WebDAV aspects of this proposed JEP are intriguing, and I think
those by themselves are worthy of standardizing on, for any HTTP-based
file transfer.  Otherwise I don't see anything actually being solved
here yet.

-  LW